Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ironman California 70.3

The California 70.3 Half Ironman event held in Oceanside, California was my favorite event in 2008. My race just came together perfectly that day and that stuck with me when I decided to sign up for this year's event last fall.

Oceanside is a problematic half, in that it's VERY early in the season - meaning one has to train over the winter months in order to be ready for the event. I had good intentions this winter -- however the training just didn't happen due to crew, work and life.

As the race weekend I approached I wondered if it was possible to fake a Half. This weekend I learned that it is not - at least not for me.

I had swam two, yes two, times since last September prior to race day. I had not been in my wetsuit since the Malibu Triathlon. Sad, I know. However, I was hopeful that my rowing three times a week would somehow replace my swim workouts and I was curious to see how the two coincided. While I have been good about my long weekend rides and runs, my weekday workouts have suffered and have been rather non-existent, as work has taken over the daylight hours. I knew this was going to be a factor heading into the race.

Oceanside is a Saturday event, requiring registration the prior day. Accordingly, we departed for Orange County early on Friday. Ashli and I were racing, with Chris serving as our private photographer, as he didn't sign up for the event quickly enough and wasn't able to procure a spot. Bummer.

We arrived before registration had even opened, so we checked into our hotel in Carlsbad and did a little shopping and enjoyed lunch before heading off to registration and a little Ironman gear shopping. (I don't know why I always find I have to purchase more gear!) While picking up our bikes at TriBike Transport (bless this company for transporting my bike to and from the race site so I didn't have to deal with taking a bike on the plane!), we ran into Brian, Dana and Kara, friends who were also racing. Always good to see them - at a race or at home.

After registering, we headed back to the hotel and I did a final check on my tri bag to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. (Of course I did - my lip balm with SPF - which I am very much regretting.) Afterwards, we all enjoyed an early dinner with my sister and her family, who live nearby. My sister joked that triathletes and three year olds are on the same dining schedule - dinner at 5 pm. It was so fun to see my sister and her family, as I hadn't seen them since last year at the same event, and at the time my nephew was only a few months old. Now he's walking around and is a little adorable person. My niece is three and entertaining as ever.

After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to try to turn in early, as we had to head out for the race the following morning at 5 am. I don't often sleep well before events, particularly ones I don't feel well trained for. Sleep did not come easily and I don't think I slept much that night - maybe a few hours.

4:45 am came early and I jumped out of bed to head to the race site to set up my gear in transition. Transition was lively and full of participants and spectators when we arrived, with Ashli and I pointing out all the professionals we passed along the way.

It was so cold at the start that my teeth chattered as I waited for the start of my wave in the swim coral. I was sure the water was going to be ice cold, but was pleasantly surprised to discover it was rather pleasant as my wave headed into the water for the start. We headed off the the start and all of a sudden, it was time to go.

7:29 am. Off I went for my 1.2 mile swim. The swim course consists of a swim in the harbor along a buoy line. My swim out to the turn around went smoothly and quickly without much excitement. I just swam. Swimming along a buoy line can be difficult, as you have to frequently make sure you are on course by sighting on the buoys. I was thrilled that I kept a perfect line on the way out. Further, I was surprised that few from following heats "swam through" while I headed out to the turn around, as usually I am bombarded by super fast boys who swim right over me. Alas, they decided to wait until after I had reached the turn around, which made the swim back in challenging, on top of the fact that it was impossible to sight on the way back in, as the buoys were lined up directly with the rising sun. The second half of my swim was a challenge, but ended quickly enough.

I was thrilled to discover upon my exit from the water (after thinking to myself how WONDERFUL it was not to have to go do another loop like I had to in Coeur D'Alene last year!) that my swim was faster than last years! Ha! No swim workouts for me!

I ran into transition while shedding my wetsuit and came upon Ashli, as she was set up in the next row. We both geared up for the 56 mile bike ride and headed out.

On my way out of the Harbour I spotted my former coach, Torsten, who I had not seen since last May. I was happy to see him and yelled out a hello as I zipped on by.

The ride heads north from the Oceanside Harbour towards San Onofre along the coast, towards the lovely nuclear plan that I, among others, refer to as "The Boobs.) (The two nuclear towers looks like breasts.) The first miles ZIPPED by. Just flew. I passed person after person and was thrilled with my time, especially when I hit the half way point at 1:07. Was I going to take FIFTEEN MINUTES off of my bike time from last year? I would have been thrilled! Ha! Not. Within a mile after the half way point, as we began to make our way back south, through the foothills of Camp Pendleton, the headwind attacked and my speed plummeted. BUMMER.

Riding on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton is fun, is there is very little traffic. Further, seeing the Marines on base doing obstacle courses carrying ammo boxes and huge backpacks full of water makes a Half Ironman seem easy.

At mile 30, the first hill of the day loomed. Last year, I remember recalling as the hill came into sight thinking that it wasn't a hill, rather it was a mountain pass. I still think it looks like a mountain pass. It's a really big hill.

As we summited the pass, many cheered with joy. It was nice to have the hill behind us, but unfortunately there were a few others awaiting us,on top of the headwind that just would not let up.

It was shortly after summiting that first hill and the following descent that I came upon a woman lying on the street, still attached to her bike. It was a horrific sight and many base locals were assisting her. It looked as is she had passed out and just crashed. I thought of that woman many times during the remainder of my day and this week. I hope she is alright.

As I continued on, I saw the possibility of a 3:15 bike slip away, but was happy with my bike performance overall, as I was just a few minutes behind my time from last year.

The run was a different story. It was about a mile into the 13.1 mile run that I knew I was in trouble. My legs began to cramp. It is a rare occasion when my legs cramp. And, I just felt tired. At this point my lack for training caught up with me and I knew it. But, I reminded myself I was out there to have fun, and I pushed on.

There were highlights of the run -- hearing "Go Aunt Jennie, Go!" and seeing my boyfriend, my sister and my niece cheering me on. The words of encouragement and sassy exchanges with my GGTC teammates were uplifting as well and made the LONG run go just a tiny bit faster.

I was overwhelmed by the generosity of the locals on the run course last year and they did not disappoint this year either. A family with a home along the run course stocked bottles of water and ice for those of running by. That ice was a lifesaver, as it was 80 degrees out on the course. It hasn't been that warm up in the Bay Area yet this year, so the temperature was tough to deal with (hence the cramping).

I wished and wished and wished when I was done with my first loop of the run that I was done, but sadly I was not, and I headed out for the second loop. (It's almost cruel - you run almost all the way to the finish line only to have to turn around and head back out.)

My second loop was more of a walk/run, or what I like to call the Ironman shuffle. It wasn't too bad, however, as I was in good company and I met some very nice people on my way back in.

Finally, the finish line was in sight. Crossing the line didn't bring me the same joy I felt last year with a strong performance, but rather a sense of determination regarding my training for the next few months. I have a lot of work to do, and my performance (or lack there of) highlighted this fact. But, it was exactly what I needed to be reminded of -- one must put in the time to excel. It's time to get moving.

The rest of the weekend was perfect. After returning my bike to TriBike Transport, we headed north to Orange County to visit with Chris' family and to enjoy a day off lounging by the pool at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, randomly with Billy Bush from Access Hollywood. (Whoa! Did you know Billy Bush is George W. Bush's first cousin?) Better yet, Lil Wayne almost took us out with his Bentley. It was an entertaining weekend.

I returned home sunburned, but happy, particularly in light of the fact that I had been carded for drinks at the Montage, yet Chris had not. Ha!

2 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

LOVE the photo of you and Alex hugging at the finish line!

MomPhD said...

Oh? They carded you but not Chris? Why is that, do you think? Is he a lot... older than you?