Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tierra Bella Century

I started the Tierra Bella Century completely blind. I had not researched the ride at all. I assumed it would be just like any of the centuries I had complete in the past.

While looking back at it, it really wasn't that bad, I would not have said that on Saturday, particularly after having summited a MOUNTAIN that I was not expecting to climb.

Just today, while writing this post, I finally read the 100 mile course description:

"Goodbye Metcalf, Hello Henry Coe! After a quick ride north past Uvas and Calero Reservoirs, you will turn south and east for a (new this year!) challenging climb up Thomas Grade and Dunne Ave to Henry Coe State Park headquarters. Then you descend back down the same roads and continue south for an afternoon climb up to Gilroy Hot Springs. Then descend CaƱada Road before returning to Gavilan College."

"Challenging climb?" The "challenging climb" consisted of a 10+ mile adventure up the side of a mountain. The worst part - the arrows on the road made it clear we were climbing only to come right back down. This fact made me think of Jessica and Sam on Rangsiwan's IM Brazil Century send-off ride. (I thought of that ride many times while ascending the mountain.)

Before I continue my commenting (aka complaining) regarding the Coe Park hill climb, I should back up and start from the beginning.

Chris and I were supposed to do this ride together as a training event for IM France. However, Chris was pulled away to attend another event and I decided to do the event on my own, as one does IM on his or her own and I thought it would be good practice. Besides that, I needed to do at least 80 miles.

I departed the house at 5 am Saturday morning to make my way to Gilroy. A bit after 7 am I got on my bike and started the ride. Just a few miles into the ride I realized I had done parts of the course before - first I realized I was on the UVAS Triathlon course. A few miles later, I again had moments of deja vu when I found myself on a long, windy stretch of road that are the final miles of the I Care Classic that Chris and I had completed last May. (I had flashbacks to those final miles, as we were ready to kill ourselves at that point as it was 97 degrees outside and we had bonked many miles before).

As the course made its way to the East side of Highway 101, I started to wonder if the course was going to follow the same route as the I Care Classic. If that was the case, I recalled that there was a hill in front of us, but one that wasn't too daunting, so I didn't think much about it.

As soon as we hit the first 3+ mile ascent (switchbacks through a residential neighborhood) I realized the course was indeed very different. At the very start of the residential ascent I spotted a sign that indicated "Coe Park" was 10.5 miles away. Ah, maybe we were headed there. Had I only known.

The 3+ mile climb through the residential neighborhood reminded me of portions of climbing Mt. Tam from the Alpine Dam side, but instead of climbing through the trees, we were climbing amongst homes lining the side of a very steep hill. It wasn't too bad and when we made it to the top I hoped we were done for a bit. Ha. A very short time later I spotted another sign that indicated Coe Park was now 6.5 miles away, along with a yellow curvy road sign... wait... uh oh... it finally started to click.

I asked the random man riding next to me, "Do we ride to Coe Park?"
"Yes, ma'am, we do."
"Is it all uphill?"
"Yes, ma'am, I am afraid it is."

My disappointment was fleeting, as I reminded myself that there is an infamous 6 mile hill climb in IM France and this would be good training. I kept pushing forward and made my way towards the remainder of the climb. (It was actually quite beautiful.)

You know it's a steep climb when there are people on the side of the road "resting." That's always a bad sign. Or when the event organizers have to post signs letting you know a really steep grade is coming up to allow you the ability to brace for an even steeper climb - one that is so steep you must stand up to make your way. Regardless, I pounded out a good climb and made it to the top without too much trouble. I wish I had looked at my watch to see how long the ascent took so I could compare it to the descent (32 minutes).

At the top, there was a rest stop where lunch was being served. This was about mile 50. I didn't stop for long, as I was looking forward to having the ride behind me. It was about two miles into my descent when I wished I had stayed a bit longer at the top, as I spotted fellow GGTCers and friends Tina and Troy climbing their way up to the top. I contemplated either waiting for them or turning around and climbing back up with them (which is really what I should have done), but I continued on, reminding myself that there was work to be done and I had a LONG run the following day.

I was so excited when I reached the valley floor, as I knew most of the remainder of the ride would be relatively flat (at least compared to the climb behind us). The remainder of the ride was relatively uneventful. I met a very nice woman from San Carlos who is a veteran double century rider who was out for a training day. We chatted for a bit as we made our way back in. I also had the pleasure of riding in a very face pace line of a local women's riding club.

When I finally made it back to my car I was thrilled to be done and just wanted to go home - so much so I threw my bike on the car and left, skipping the post event meal (an action I would rethink later in the evening).

By the time I made it back home I was starving and I hit the local taco shop for some fuel. While I was hungry the moment I got home, it surprised me a few hours later as I headed to bed that I hadn't eaten more. Usually after rides like that I am ravenous and ingest enough food for two or three people. This should have been a sign of things to come.

Alas, just after midnight I awoke and knew something was wrong. I didn't quite make it to the sink before the vomiting began. I thought to myself that I hadn't eaten enough and that this is what happens when you don't refuel properly! I felt just horrible. I was so sick I couldn't even make it back to bed. After spending an hour being sick and gathering strength, I finally made it back and went to sleep.

I awoke the next morning, sick yet again, feeling like death. I slept 31 out of the next 36 hours. (Missed my run.) It wasn't until midday Sunday that I realized I was sick because I had the flu, not because I hadn't refueled properly (although my lack of appetite due to the flu certainly did not help my recovery from the ride).

I am all better now (finally!), and am left wondering which is worse -- the Tierra Bella Coe Park climb, or the infamous climb in Ironman France. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

You'll have to do the climb again without the flu bug Jennie. I'm sure it slowed you down. Well I'm glad you are better, that sounded painful and I bet it was, the being sick and sleeping 31 out of 36 hours.

Michele R. Unger said...

Glad you are better. That must have been some tought flu bug!