Monday, February 16, 2009

Tour of California

Today I learned that tour riders actually read signs held by spectators. Maybe this is only true when they are climbing a category 3 hill and are almost at the top and probably are quite tired and looking for a distraction, but they definitely read my sign. The sign I held elicited some very entertaining reactions.

"Aww, come on!"

"Basso? Really?"

Floyd Landis glared at me with disgust. Another rider gave me a wink that made me burst out laughing. One rider stuck out his tongue. Some smiled. Others laughed.

My sign was a little homage to my favorite cyclist, Ivan Basso, who has been missing from the cycling scene for a few years, due to some doping issues.

As Chris and I made our way home from our weekend in Carmel, we decided to spectate Stage Two of the Tour of California - the Sausalito to Santa Cruz leg. We arrived in Santa Cruz much too early to wait at the finish line, so we headed further north to catch the riders somewhere along the 115 mile leg. We decided to catch them where we might actually get to see them for more than a fleeting moment - on a category 3 hill climb up Bonny Doon.

We weren't the only ones with this brilliant idea, which made it all the more fun.

We appeared to have lucked out with a brief break in the weather when we arrived, as it finally stopped raining. After scoping out a great spot to take photos from, we, or rather I, stepped back into my sorority sign making days and made an Ivan Basso sign on a grocery bag.

About a half-hour before the racers made their way to our location, a Livestrong van stopped amongst our crowd, distributing signs and chalk, which we all took and immediately began chalking the road. Such fun! I had to wait until the van had disappeared around the corner to start chalking, as it was not "Lance" I was writing on the roadway.

Those of us lined up along the side of the two lane steep grade became more and more excited as race organizers and Highway Patrol zipped by checking the course. We knew the riders were not too far behind.

Sadly, as we continued to wait for the first riders to make their way to our vantage point, it started to hail and then downpour, washing away all of our chalking efforts off the street. We were not sad for too long, as a few moments later the first group of riders made their way past us climbing up the grade.

Levi Leipheimer was in the lead pack, followed closely by a second pack of riders that contained Lance Armstrong, Ivan Basso and many others. They were flying up the hill... and this was about seven or so miles into the hill. Amazing.

Even though it was pouring down rain, cow bells rang and the crowd cheered the riders on. I enjoyed every moment.

Our position on the hill allowed for some quality Tour spectating. I will most certainly make sure to spectate in the mountains this summer, as we watch the Tour de France after we do our own little tour of France competing in Ironman France.

I have 5 months to plan some really great signs...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have never been to a cycling event! besides that inclement weather, it sounds like fun! i cant wait..now i can make my own sign!

Michele R. Unger said...

Well, I see your Ivan attachment continues. And to think I was an enabler in your first "live" Ivan experience. You sure did have fun, though! Sad you've infected Chris.....

Grove Street Journal said...

Chris is such a good sport.

I think he had fun photographing the entertaining reactions.

Ashli Reitz said...

beautiful!!! I love it. glad to hear you had to deal with some rain too ;)

Hey it only took them 5 hrs + change to ride 46 miles more than us down there :)

Grove Street Journal said...

Ashli, that's just sad.

MomPhD said...

You are such a dork. (my spellchecker just tried to change that to "fork"!!!)

*** Vicky *** said...

How I envy you!!!

Ivan Basso is also my fav cyclist!

I saw him 2 years ago in Long Beach at the same event. I'm certainly planning on being in Pasadena for the circuit finish and possibily in SD area for the final stage.

Your sign's totally awesome! I would've done the same thing.

And whichever cyclists/specatators who made comments about your sign were simply jealous... :)