Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Muddy Buddy

Last year, my friends Tina and Dana did the San Jose Muddy Buddy event. The moment I saw their finishers photo, I knew Chris and I had to do this event.

We had so much fun. I felt like I was a Marine whipping over "walls" and running across balance beams.

One moment, however, caused my heart to stop. As we were waiting at the start, there was a Challenged Athlete Foundation presentation, a common occurrence at race events. A woman with a prosthetic leg, about my age, made a presentation. Typically, an athlete will share that they lost a limb in an auto accident or while in the service. Not this time. The woman speaking said that she first presented with a spider bite on her leg. The spider bite turned into a MRSA staph infection, which then spread into her bone and she lost her leg. Chris and I were speechless.

Needless to say, I am thankful for my health and happiness.

2 comments:

yaiAnn said...

ha! i'm so behind... finally catching up! awesome post-race photo! chris looks very french! tres bonne!!

Michele R. Unger said...

Yikes. We are ALL so grateful for your continued good health and happiness.