Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mother's Club

I was recently telling a dear friend a story about my first experience with the local mother's club, and she insisted that I share it.

My sister had great success with meeting wonderful people through her local mother's club when she had her children, so I sought out the local group and signed up. I was placed in a group with 11 other women giving birth in April, May and June of this year.

I was one of the last to sign up for the group, so they had already had two meetings before I met everyone for the first time.

A few weeks ago the group had it's last monthly meeting (my first meeting) before a short break for everyone to give birth to their little ones.

The group was filled with wonderful, successful women, one of whom lives three blocks away from us. I'm looking forward to future events, as I suspect that a few of us will become good friends.

My favorite moment from the gathering, however, was when one woman asked the others what breathing method they were going to use for the birth of their child (or children in one case). Everyone started chiming in with comments like "the Bradley method," "I'm using a doula," etc. They then continued on with how many books on the subject each had read, which books they thought were best, and the like. Then someone asked me what my birth plan was. My response, "an epidural." Silence. "What breathing method?" "Whatever feels natural." Again, silence. It was pretty funny.

We are now at 29 weeks. We cannot wait to meet our little one, as last time we saw her she hid her face.

2 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

Good for you!

Rick Gaston said...

Speechless... in a very good way.