Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dean

While cycling along today I was chatting away with a friend and we both stopped talking as we passed a man running towards us. We both recognized him instantly - Dean Karnazes.

Dean is a local ultra distance runner who I became familiar with while reading his book "Ultra Marathon Man" while traveling in Europe many years ago. I enjoyed his book so much I stayed up until 5 am in London to finish it one evening.

While I have crossed Dean's path in the past running in the City, we were a LONG way from home and I had to wonder how far he had run. Probably pretty far.

It was fun to see him as we made our way back in from a 4 hour training ride, as I find him to be extremely motivational.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

his LEGS are extremely motivational. i mean, they are unreal. had a pic taken with him at the north face race finish. crazy, crazy chiseled runner legs. very cool siting for adventure geeks like ourselves. :) congrats on getting your plane tix!!

Jessica said...

Yay...on your way again to another exciting adventure! Can't wait to hear all about IM France! You will have a great time!

So are you still rowing? Yes, I think we need to trade places one day to see what each of our watersports are like. I think I would love the rowing as well! But I think the practice hours for paddling are a little more sane :-)

Can't wait to see you on Wednesday! I will come to your office and drag you out this time if your work tries to get in the way :-)

Hugs!