Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pirates Cove

Dian and Paul signed up for the Pacific Coast Trail Runs Pirates Cove event many months ago and asked us to join them. I, of course (since I cannot say no to anything) signed up. I registered for the 20K event, along with my friend Ashli.

As the date neared, Chris signed up for the 30K event. Two of his friends who are also doing IM France decided to join in as well.

I was so excited to learn this week that many other friends were also doing the event -- of course Rick was running the 50K event, but I also discovered that my friends Dana and Samantha were doing the 30K event.

It was SO FUN to see so many friendly faces at the start. And what a gorgeous run. I am embarrassed, living in Marin, that I had not been on 80% of that course until today.

We started from Rodeo Beach and headed up, up, up. The pack spread out pretty quickly, as the terrain was steep. It started more as a hike than a run. However, after making our way up to the first ridge, the beauty of the Bay Area revealed itself and I was on my way.

About four miles into my run I came over the top of a ridge and was shocked to realize I was running down into Tennessee Valley, an area I frequently run. I had never imagined I would tackle the trails from above. It was a fun moment.

The entire remainder of the run was stunning. I feel so fortunate to live here. I was constantly stunned by the beauty of the views and was enjoying myself very much until the 50 and 30K-ers started passing me. They ran 6 more miles than me, yet they were still passing me long before the finish line. It's moments like that I wish I was a foot taller and simply faster. Yet, it was fun to see the speed demons fly past me, as I saw my former volunteer partner, Will G., as well as Rick, Phil and then Chris. Chris' calves were cramping, so he wasn't moving as fast as usual, and we ran the last bit of the course together - which was a real treat for me as we never run together.

Cheyenne was out on the course cheering us on. I am always surprised by how wonderful it is to see friends out on the course offering support. I appreciated it greatly.

It was a lovely run, topped off by a lovely dinner with two dear girlfriends who had also done the event. We weren't moving too quickly out of the restaurant, however, as the soreness had begun to set in...

4 comments:

Samantha said...

congratulations, jennie! i know, can you believe how close all that beautiful, awesome landscape is?? it makes you want to go out and run like 30 miles on it, doesn't it?? that's how it snowballs. great seeing you at the start and i agree, it's all the friendly faces that make it so special. kudos to you and to chris!

willgotthardt said...

Nice surprise to see you out there Jennie...well done.

Cheers, Will G.

Rick Gaston said...

Jenny! So good to see you guys out there. Fun. Was good seeing you on the course too, sorry I couldn't stop and glad you called out. I had tagged behind Kristina and I was using her to pace me through the first 30k. She pulled me along as she came in first woman for the 30k. Saw Ashli too.

Donald said...

Congrats on a great race! Looks like a fun day, despite the cool weather.

Thanks for the comment about Lars ... it's probably good that I don't live up there. I'd end up having to register as a stalker or something.