Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Forgotten Love

Rowing was my passion in high school. I loved it. I went to college thinking I was going to row until I arrived to a canceled crew program.

I have been telling myself for years that when I grew tired of triathlon I was going to get back into rowing. I had been thinking more and more about over the past few months after finding myself in a bit of a training slump after Ironman. Last week I finally contacted the local crew club.

Who knew triathlon would come into play?

When I met with the designated coach for those coming "back into the fold" to determine where I best fit, he asked me about my fitness level, what I did for exercise, etc. When I replied that I was a triathlete and that most of my training consisted of biking and running, he asked me what events I had done this year.

Me: "Well, I did my first Ironman distance event in June, as well as a couple of halves."
Coach: "Well then, we are done. You are headed for the racing team."

I attended my first workout this week and was treated to a team erg test. I haven't been on an erg for 15 years. It was pretty funny, as I could not remember what time I should be shooting for, what power output I wanted, etc.

About three minutes into the 20 minute test it all came rushing back as I recalled the last time I had been on an erg, in a seat battle, and the fact that I had literally rolled off at the end and threw up. Fun times.

About 7 minutes into the 20 minute test I thought, "Wow, this is really hard." Realizing I had 13 minutes left I thought, "Suck it up. It's 13 minutes." Somehow, 13 minutes didn't really compare to 2.5 hour runs and 7 hour bike rides...

I am officially in the "try out" phase for one of the master's teams, which lasts for a few weeks. While I am VERY sore at the moment (muscles that had long been forgotten have been re-engaged), I am very much looking forward to the entire experience!

2 comments:

Donald said...

Good luck to you ... I was a college rower and have longed to go back ever since, but have never had the opportunity. The sport keeps a place in your heart, for sure.

Grove Street Journal said...

Donald, thank you! I hope the opportunity presents itself! I had forgotten how peaceful rowing can be.