Monday, September 28, 2009

A Perfect Surprise

I spent a long week on the East Coast this past week at a conference. To make it even more difficult, I was not able to return home until Sunday, which meant that I was not going to see Chris, which of course made me very sad.

When I opened the mail box when I returned home, it was empty. How on earth could I not have received any mail over the course of an entire week? I thought maybe I had so much mail spewing out of the box that the mailman had deposited on my doorstep.

When I reached my doorstep, I discovered there was nothing there. Now, I had been expecting a package, so this too was odd.

Then, the deadbolt on my door was unlocked, and I always lock it when I leave.

He must be here! Yet, when I went in the house and called out his name, there was pure silence. I was so confused!

I was not confused for long, as suddenly the person I longed to see most was standing in front of me. The perfect surprise.

While Chris had to spend a portion of the day studying (the life of a graduate student), we did find time to make our way out to Marshall for our new favorite barbecued oysters. We had both been dreaming of them since we discovered them a few weeks ago, and we were not disappointed.

After downing 26 oysters, we made our way home to enjoy the premiere of one of our favorite television shows - the Amazing Race.

As many of you know, Chris and I applied to be on the Amazing Race last spring and were saddened when we weren't chosen. We think we are perfect for the race, and that we would win!

While I was excited the new season had begun, it was also a bit hard to watch. As we watched the teams race around the world, we couldn't help but compare ourselves to some of the teams and claim that we would have been better. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Regardless, I was thankful to have spent the day with Chris, even though we were not racing around the world. Besides, we always create our own adventures.

No comments: