Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Born to Run

Chris was given the book, "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall as a parting gift from a colleague when he left work this spring to start law school.

He read it while in France this summer and told me I had to read it. I started reading it right after Ironman France and I could not put it down.

If you have any interest in running, it is a must read.

I found the book absolutely fascinating. So fascinating, in fact, that I decided to incorporate barefoot running into my training plan, which sounds horrible, but really isn't if you invest in a pair of Vibram Five-Fingers. You look like a freak wearing these aquasox like shoes, but I just had to try them after reading the book.

The good news is that I am not the only freak - one of my crew mates and her partner also swear by them. She wears them to crew practice and has informed me that her partner, a marathoner, even wears them to work. While I would never hear the end of it if I wore them to work, the shoes really do make you realize the strengths and weaknesses in your running gait.

This book even has me drinking chia seeds. Yes, chia, as in Chia Pet.

I don't know if its the chia seeds or the inspiration of the book, but I have taken 6+ minutes off of my 5 mile run time. I'll take it!

5 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

For the third time in my life, I am speechless.

Grove Street Journal said...

Annie said she couldn't stop laughing.

Michele R. Unger said...

Chia seeds? Seriously?

René said...

ok, now we just need a slip-on attachment on those for the bike and transition time in triathlon will be shaved tremendously!

Grove Street Journal said...

Mom, seriously. I love them! I even have Chris eating them. Apparently, the Tarahumara Indian's of Mexico live on them and they are amazing long distance runners. Weird, I know. But, they don't taste like anything. It just looks like you are drinking little bugs.

Rene, I agree! It would be even better if they had just a hint of fin in them for the swim. ; )