Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend: Bayless and Chihuly

Chris and I have been very lucky at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market -- not only with the food finds, but with celebrity chef sightings. This weekend held a treat even better than when we spotted Chris Cosentino... we saw Rick Bayless. I freaked out.

Me: "Chris, Oh My God! It's Rick Bayless!"
Chris: (Of course) "Let's go say hi."
Me: "No way."

Chris, ignoring me, walked over to Chef Bayless and introduced us. Chef Bayless was very kind. It was fun to meet him.

Most of the remainder of the long holiday weekend was spent unpacking and enjoying the new home in Marin. We finished unpacking Sunday afternoon, just in time to depart for dinner party we were attending. It is so nice to be done. I cannot stand living in box-madness. Chris was a sweetheart and made it happen.

In celebration of unpacking, Chris and I decided to head down to the De Young as a Labor Day activity and check out the Chihuly Exhibit. Even better, we met up with my aunt, uncle and cousin, who were also looking forward to seeing the exhibit.

All I knew about Chihuly heading into the exhibit was that he had done the beautiful glass ceiling in the reception area at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Little did I know Dale Chihuly a Washingtonian, born and raised in the same town where my mother was born. Even better, he now lives in Seattle!

The exhibit was amazing. The colors were so vibrant and stunning. The glasswork seemingly impossible. I highly recommend the exhibit for anyone who has not yet seen it.

2 comments:

Michele R. Unger said...

I love the way you've captured the magic of the Chihuly glass. You are a spectacularly good photographer, my darling.

Rick Gaston said...

Chihuly is in the De Young, thanks for the tip! I love Chihuly.