Monday, September 15, 2008

Nautica Malibu Triathlon

I had forgotten that triathlon can simply be fun. In the middle of the bike portion of the Nautica Malibu Triathlon I remembered why I had become addicted to triathlon when I participated in my first event about five or so years ago. Triathlon is fun!

Particularly when you are standing at the start line and realize you are standing next to Marc Anthony. Whoa! Wait, if Mark Anthony is right here, J.Lo must be near by. Oh wait, she's right in front of me. Wow, she's not that tall!

Many informed me before we headed south for the weekend that I was not allowed to return home unless I beat Jennifer Lopez. I am happy to report I beat Jennifer Lopez, by about 11 minutes. One can fake a sprint after all! (Me, not J.Lo.)

I was shocked to see Chris McCormack out on the race course. What on earth was he doing here? An Ironman champion doing a sprint? He was SO FAR ahead of everyone else that it was a joke.

The celebrity spotting that proved to be the most entertaining was Matthew McConaughey. Chris and I were standing on the beach talking to Jon Cryer (Duckie!) when Matthew McConaughey strolls by with a pack of paparazzi. His stretching for the cameras was priceless.

Who did we see besides Jennifer Lopez? Other stars at the race included Felicity Huffman, William H. Macy, John Hamm, Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Jon Cryer, Monique Coleman, Heather Tom, Andy Baldwin, Chris Harrison (host of the Bachelor), Eliza Dushku, David Chokachi (of Baywatch fame), Anna Kournikova and my personal favorite, Scott Foley. There were many other stars I recognized as television stars, but I could not tell you who they were.

Cindy Crawford was the MC of the event and we all agreed that she is a beautiful woman. And her children! They are STUNNING.

I was glad Chris and I had fun at the race, because Saturday was a big disappointment. Chris and his family had been looking forward to the USC v. Ohio State game for months, and the game was a horrid loss. We had a great time, however, at the pre-game tailgate. My first real college football game was an adventure, even if Ohio State lost.

The rest of the weekend wasn't so great. We crashed our rental car. Not fun. I was pretty happy to return home knowing I didn't have to travel anytime in the near future.

No comments: